Saturday 22 June 2013

Worthing Churches Homeless Projects






Last year Worthing Churches Homeless Projects called for artists to paint portraits of up to 500 people they had worked with over the last year. The twist was that you would not see or meet the Client, nor would you be provided with any pictorial reference. Rather you were given a short piece of text, written by the previously homeless person.As an "early adopter" Client 4's details were sent to me. Here is the profile:


 I am 30 year old white, British male. I was going between friends houses sleeping on sofas when I first came into contact with Worthing Churches Homeless Projects. I am attending an anger management course which is supported by my recovery from alcohol and cannabis misuse, things I used previously to keep me calm. I am constantly working towards a healthy lifestyle and play football regularly to keep myself fit. Since working with the project I am able to live independently, work part time and do voluntary work. I have also completed a bike maintenance course so I can service and repair bikes – this gives me a trade to rely upon so that if I cannot find work in future I always have that skill. I am saving up for a house deposit to rent privately at the moment and am really excited about this.

A really fun project to  be involved with. The artists have donated their work, with any sale proceeds going to the Charity. All the work is on display at Offington Park Methodist Church, BN14 7TN for the next 3 weekends as part of the Worthing Open Houses. Do go along and have a look at a quite remarkable project.

 

No comments: